Friday 14 December 2012

A Christmassy treat #1


I have been completely absent from the blog for an entire month! I feel this is awful behaviour! I have, however, been ridiculously busy! That is my excuse and I am sticking to it! Life is only going to get busier though it would seem because not only is it the week before christmas but I found out today that I will actually be getting the keys for my new premises on Monday! Very very exciting but also rather stressful!

Now, next week is not only a week of finishing the christmas shopping, wrapping presents, and making beautifully decadent Christmas treats for family and friends, it is also a week of clearing, cleaning and possibly even decorating! I think there is still a little way to go before the doors will actually be opening to the masses though! However, over the next few months, this blog will be featuring fewer recipe posts and many more posts on the progress of the premises! I've been doing all sorts of grown up things like opening up a business bank account and sending off for business cards! Plus things keep arriving that are addressed to the 'Managing Director'! Just a tiny bit scared! 

As another point, I am also working on getting my official website up and running. You might notice that I have added it as a page at the top, and if you do go for a look, bare in mind it is very much a work in progress at the moment! 

As it is almost Christmas, I thought I would get back to my blog with a Christmas post! Hopefully I'll get a few more up over the week and then maybe after the Big Day itself too! My baking exploits are normally saved for the 27th, when the Appleby family have 'Day-after-Boxing-Day Tea'! Kicking off proceedings is a recipe for an Iced Ginger Cake. It really is a beautiful cake; a light, crumbly sponge with a lovely tangy ginger icing on top. I love using ginger and other spices at this time of year because they just taste and smell so festive! This cake is definitely a perfect christmassy treat!


The Ingredients


175g Butter, 175g caster sugar, 3 eggs, 1 tbsp treacle, 2 tbsp ginger syrup, 225g self-raising flour, 1 tsp ground mixed spice, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 tbsp ground almonds, 2 tbsp milk, and 70g stem ginger. 

Start by creaming together the butter and caster sugar.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
Add the treacle and the ginger syrup to the eggs and whisk.
In another bowl, mix together the flour and spices.
Alternately, add a little of the egg mixture and then some of the flour mixture, to the creamed butter and sugar mixture, until all mixtures are completely combined.
Next, add the ground almonds and the milk, and stir together until you have a smooth mixture.
Finally, chop the stem ginger into reasonably small pieces and add to the mixture, then mix everything together.
Spoon into a prepared tin and smooth the surface - note my use of silicone once more! I do always line the bottom of my silicone moulds though. If you don't have silicone, then make sure your tin is well greased/lined. 
Bake in the oven (160/Gas Mark 3) for 45-50 minutes, until the cake is well risen and firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
When the cake is completely cool, make up some glace icing with 225g of icing sugar and 1tsp of ginger syrup. 
Pour the icing over the cake - it will be runny so be prepared! If you don't like the consistency add some more icing sugar.
To finish, decorate the cake with edible gold balls.

It was enjoyed by all here in the Appleby Household, and I hope it will be enjoyed by my future customers also! If you try making it, I hope you enjoy it too!

Kate
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment