Thursday 5 July 2012

The Beginning

There is something rather scary about trying to start a blog! What with this being the first post it throws up all sorts of problems, such as how do you start it, especially when you haven't actually got anyone reading it yet! Hopefully, people will soon be reading though and therefore I express a hugely warm welcome to each and everyone! I hope you enjoy what I have to write about.

Delicious Decadence started off as little more than a pipe dream, fueled by a somewhat overactive imagination and a desire to do nothing but bake all day everyday! A love of all things baking related and an unfortunate incident that ended up having a silver-lining has led to the dream becoming a reality. I have just graduated from university and rather than looking for a 'proper job', as many people like to put it, I am starting the somewhat daunting task of setting up my own business. Delicious Decadence is the name of what will (hopefully) be a hugely popular coffee house and bakery in Newcastle Upon Tyne/Northumberland.

For some reason people I talk to about it seem to feel the need to tell me over and over again that it will be extremely hard work - thank you to everyone for stating the obvious! Trust me, I am aware of the mountain I am about to start climbing! People that know me though, will know that I am not someone that gives up. I am prepared for things to go wrong because life is full of problems and obstacles but what matters is that I am also prepared to fight everyday until I have exactly what I want. This blog will chart the progress of the business as I work towards finding premises, decorating, learning to make the perfect cup of coffee, and opening the doors to the lovely members of the public. Tales of the ups and downs will come regularly, as well as frequent posts on what I have been baking recently, which in my mind is the most important part of the entire thing!

I will leave you all with some pictures of recent baking I have done. Hopefully it will give you all a taste (like the pun?!) of the wonderful things to come! Trust me though, everything tastes as good as it looks, even if I do say so myself!

 Mini Victoria Sponges
 Grasshopper Pie
 Earl Grey Cupcakes and Lemon Cupcakes
 Chocolate and Coffee marble cake; Earl Grey cupcakes; Fat Rascals; Bacon and Cornmeal muffins; Frosted cherry rings
 Cottage Loaf
 Scandinavian Tea Ring
 Frosted Cherry Rings
 My best friend's 21st birthday cake
 Lemon syllabub in chocolate cups; mini fruit tartlets; rocky road
 Mini Lemon Meringue Pies
 Malteser Cake
 Lemon and Orange Battenburg Cake
 Lemon Meringue Pie
 Chocolate and Caramel Tartlets
Portuguese Chorizo Bread

That is all for now, but much more will be coming very soon!

Kate
xxx 



5 comments:

  1. Best wishes to you! My wife owned an espresso bar for 8 years. Lots of fun, long hours, free espresso! Your bakery items look wonderful. Will follow your journey with interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow those look delicious :)

    Good luck to you, I will enjoy following you on your journey!

    Kimxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your baked goods look amazing! I love baking too and my friends are always telling me I should have my own shop but its such a daunting prospect! Love the name by the way! I'm looking forward to following your journey and wishing you all the luck in the world xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much to all three of you! I am genuinely flattered by your lovely comments! There is a slice of cake for each of you when the business is open! I hope you enjoy everything to come! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, these look delicious! Wish you all the best with this - always great to see when someone tries to take their passion the next step! Hope post-Uni life is great!
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete