Monday 9 July 2012

Really rather nice and only a tiny bit naughty!

Yesterday I promised a post that was actually about food, and so here it is!

A favourite pudding in the Appleby household is Lemon Curd Syllabub. It is really easy and quick to make, but more importantly it tastes amazing! When I find a recipe I like, I try and modify it slightly or play around with the ingredients, and this one is wonderfully versatile! I've used the same basic recipe but found different varieties of curd, so there has been raspberry curd, blackcurrant curd, and lime curd syllabub. My mother bought some banana curd and hinted that she thought it might be a good addition...I so far haven't tried it! If I ever do, I will of course let you know how it turns out!

I will put the full recipe on my recipe page so on here I will just put the basics. In the original recipe wine is added but I don't do so. The only reason being that I don't feel it is particularly necessary! If you want to do so though, you absolutely should!

The Ingredients:

 Shortbread biscuits, double cream (but as you might notice I actually use Elmlea, Elmlea Light to be precise), mascarpone, icing sugar, lemon curd, and flaked almonds. 

If you continue to read my blog, you'll find that in most recipes I use low-fat substitutes, such as elmlea here, and also lighter mascarpone. Basically, I'm not very good at not eating the things I like so I make myself feel better about it by making some of the ingredients a tiny bit better - who am I kidding?! I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that can relate though!

How its done:

Combine the cream and the mascarpone
 Add the icing sugar
 Whisk it all together until it forms soft peaks - it doesn't want to be too thick; it should still move!
 
 Next, add the lemon curd
 Mix it into the creamy mixture so it makes swirls through it
 Crumble the shortbread between the glasses (in my case three, although technically the amounts in the recipe serve four...sssssshhhhh!)
 Spoon the mixture into the glasses on top of the shortbread and then scatter a few flaked almonds over the syllabub. If you want you can add a blob of whisked double cream on top, or even just squirty cream if you so wish!
 Finish with a liberal dusting of icing sugar and enjoy! (Sorry the glasses are a mess!)

I realise this isn't actually baking, but I do love a good dessert! I recommend you all try making it because I guarantee you will enjoy it!

I would love to know what you think of it so please leave comments!

Kate
xxx

1 comment: