Thursday 9 August 2012

Roses are Red...well in this case they are pink!

It has been a little while since my last post - things have been rather hectic in the Appleby household over the last few weeks! My mother also owns her own business and has been moving premises after ten years in the same place and her new premises have taken quite a lot of work to get into a decent shape and there is still work to do! As a result I have been busy with a paintbrush and a screwdriver! Thank god I'm not trying to sort my premises out at the same time! Anyway, here is the first post of the new month and hopefully I will have more time to go back to regular posts!

I am a complete and utter girly girl! My favourite colour is pink, I love soppy romantic books and films,  I think life should resemble a Disney movie, and shoes are my downfall! I am a walking, talking cliche basically! If I can find a reason for something to be girly-fied then it has to be done!

From cases for my electrical gadgets to my nail varnish you'll find it is pink, glittery, flowery, or all three! Therefore, if I can make my baking pink, it will happen! When I stumbled upon these beauties, I couldn't resist making them straight away! Therefore, I give you Rose Biscuits. They take time and patience but are so worth it because the end result is a beautiful crumbly biscuit with delicately sweet icing.

The Ingredients:

 Butter, golden caster sugar (although I actually had to use normal caster sugar as I ran out!), rose water, plain flour, an egg, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.

Cream together the butter and caster sugar.
 Add to this mixture the egg and the rose water and combine thoroughly.
 Gently mix in the flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt and form a dough. If it appears to be too sticky to roll out add a small amount of extra flour.
 Wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge to chill for one hour.
 When the dough is ready to be used, get out your boards, rolling pins, and a round cutter of about 5.5cm.
 Make sure the surface is well floured as this is quite a soft dough to begin with, and roll the dough out to the thickness of 5mm.
 Cut out as many disks as you can from the dough, constantly gathering and re-rolling the dough.
 Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, until they are crisp and golden.
 When they are cooled mix up the icing using icing sugar, hot water, rose water, and pink food colouring.
 Sandwich the disks together with the icing and then use it to decorate the top. Finish each biscuit with a piece of crystalised rose (or another decoration if you prefer).

And there you go - beautiful and delicate biscuits that go perfectly with a cup of tea.

Hope you enjoyed this post!

Kate
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment