Tuesday 21 August 2012

A brilliant breakfast treat!

If you've been keeping up with my blog you might have noticed that I have quite a sweet tooth! A lot of my posts so far have involved cakes and biscuits! Well I do in fact also make savoury items (see also my previous post on bread) and I thought I would share with you one of my favourites!

Bacon and Cornmeal Muffins - one word: yummy!

The Ingredients:

 Cornmeal, bacon, butter (melted), baking powder, salt, eggs, caster sugar, plain flour, and milk.

I suggest the first thing you do is cook the bacon. I have a rather trusty George Foreman, which gets used for these sorts of things! Obviously a frying pan or standard grill works just as well! Once it is cooked leave it to cool and start with the muffins.

In a bowl put the cornmeal, plain flour, caster sugar, salt, and baking powder, and mix everything together.
 Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
 In a seperate bowl (although I used a mug!) measure out the milk and add to it the melted butter and the eggs.
 Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and combine thouroughly.
 Chop up the now cooled bacon into small pieces and add to the muffin mixture.
 Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tins and cook in the oven

I foolishly forgot to take a picture of the finished product! When cooked they are beautiful golden muffins that are an excellent breakfast treat! Serve warm and spread with butter for absolute perfection!

Kate 
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment