Thursday 13 September 2012

Ginger and Lemon - a perfect combination

I’ve been away from my blog for quite a while now, so I thought I had better get back on top of writing posts! I seem to have been busy but I’m not entirely sure what I’ve been up to! There is still work to do at my mum’s business premises so that has kept me occupied (my dad caused a flood last weekend, which needed to be sorted out!), and more importantly my lovely and beautiful friend Rach (finally) returned from the Dominican Republic and so she has been keeping me busy what with trips to Weatherspoons and a wedding (lots of fun!) – I can’t complain I suppose!

Now I realise I started this blog in order to report on my progress in setting up my own business but as there is nothing currently to report I shall carry on with a few more posts on some of my new/favourite baked items! As soon as something is going on (which fingers crossed will be the case very, very soon!) you wonderful readers will be the first to know!

So, on with the cake…
My mum is a massive fan of anything that involves ginger and therefore one of her favourites is the cake in this post – sticky ginger cake with lemon icing. It is a beautifully dark and rich cake that is complemented perfectly by the cool, citrus icing that covers it. It is perfect with a cup of tea on a horribly cold day! 



The Ingredients:
 Butter, brown sugar, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, treacle, golden syrup, eggs, milk, bicarbonate of soda, and plain flour


Put the butter, sugar, golden syrup, treacle, ginger, and cinnamon into a large bowl and place in the microwave to melt it all together.

 In a separate bowl beat the eggs, and then to them, add the milk and the bicarbonate of soda dissolved in water. Pour this mixture into the melted butter mixture.

 Next add the flour and combine thoroughly.
 Once again I am using a trusty rectangular silicone mould, which doesn’t need greasing or lining, and the mixture can simply be poured in.

 Cook in the oven at 180 degrees centigrade for around 45 minutes to an hour, and then leave to cool before icing.
 The icing is a simple mixture of icing sugar, lemon juice and water. It needs to be fairly thick so it can be spread over the top of the cake.
And there is the finished product (also shown at the start), all ready to eat and enjoy!

Hopefully people will come back and read my posts again! Sorry for being away! 

Kate
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment