Thursday 27 September 2012

Chocolate Post #2

The second of my chocolate posts is for a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.


As you will know if you have read my 'about me' section, or simply if you know me, I am a member of the Women's Institute. For my birthday, mother Appleby found me a WI cookbook, which includes recipes for vintage tea parties and older recipes taken from WI cookbooks from WIs all over the country. This chocolate cake was originally in the 1969 Northumberland Federation cookbook, and as my WI is within the Northumberland Federation it made sense to try making it. I am really rather glad I did because it is absolutely gorgeous! It is a beautiful, light, chocolate sponge topped with silky chocolate icing that simply melts in your mouth.

The Ingredients:

 Butter, caster sugar, eggs, cocoa powder, boiling water, baking powder, vanilla extract, and plain flour.

First, put the cocoa powder into a large mug or small bowl, and add to it the boiling water. 
 Mix into a thick paste and then set aside to cool slightly.
 In a large bowl cream together the butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy, and then add the vanilla extract and then the eggs one at a time.
 Next add the flour and baking powder, and mix thoroughly. 
To this mixture add the chocolate paste and mix everything together.
 Spoon the mixture into a rectangular tin (silicone once again! Obviously if it isn't silicone it needs to be greased and/or lined) and smooth the top with the back of a spoon to try and get as even a surface as possible.
 Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until well risen. Let the cake stand in the tin for about 10 minutes and then turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack until it is completely cold and therefore ready for icing.
 For the icing, melt dark chocolate in the microwave and then stir into it solid butter so that it melts, and then double cream. The icing should be smooth and glossy.
 Spread the icing over the top of the cake straight away - it might seem really runny but it won't run off the sides of the cake so just go for it!
 Finish the cake with a decoration of your choice. The first time I made it I used pink pearly decorations...
 ...and the second time (made specially for a WI meeting) I topped the cake with milk, dark, and white chocolate stars and hearts!

This cake truly is beautiful - it pleased the ladies of Otterburn WI so it must be good!

Just as a tip, I keep the cake in the fridge because of the double cream in the icing. 

Kate
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment