Monday 29 October 2012

Your morning coffee and cake all in one

Who doesn't love coffee? Well, me, actually! I know, know, the hilarity of the fact that I am opening a coffee shop and I can't stand to drink the stuff! Anyway, many people do like coffee, and while I don't like drinking it, I do like the smell of it and I can quite happily eat coffee cake (well, it is cake after all!), and so I thought I would make some miniature coffee cakes. I've said before that I love things in miniature, but there is just something special about having an entire cake all to yourself rather than simply a slice! Plus they are all the same size so no one can complain about someone having an bigger bit than them! My brother is so annoying for doing that! The recipe is really simple, just a standard victoria sponge with coffee added, and then downsized for your individual pleasure! Enjoy!


The Ingredients
Butter, caster sugar, eggs, self-raising flour, and coffee

Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
Add the eggs and beat in well.
Then add the flour, but don't over mix.
Finally, make up some instant coffee, as strong or as weak as you like, and stir that in.
Once again, I am showing my love for Lakeland, by using their miniature sandwich tin. I am a serious fan of it! If you don't have one you could probably make them in a standard bun tin. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin (I have fallen in love with cake release spray!), until about two-thirds full, and bake in the oven (180) for about 20-25 minutes.
When done, the cakes should have risen nicely and be a lovely golden brown colour. 
Remove from the tin and leave to cool. They need to be completely cold before they can be turned into sandwiches.
For the buttercream, beat together butter and icing sugar, and then add more instant coffee. I make the buttercream much stronger than the cake itself, so you have a light cake with a rich creamy filling!
Cut the cakes in half and spread one half with buttercream and then sandwich them back together.
I then finished the tops off with more buttercream and added a pair of chocolate coffee beans.
And there you have it!
Beautifully light and fluffy, and, like most of the things I make, incredibly moreish! Not a particularly good thing! But, lovely all the same!

Will be writing again soon so keep an eye out!

Kate
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment