Tuesday 30 October 2012

An apple a day keeps the doctor away...

My favourite fruit is definitely apple, but I am quite fussy when it comes to finding the right type. They must be really firm and crisp, and I won't touch red delicious! I just don't like them! I hate it when you bite into an apple and it has that awful powdery texture and taste - absolutely disgusting! I went through a phase of really disliking any form of cooked apple, which thankfully I am now over and so in this post I bring you toffee apple muffins. 

Whoever realised that toffee and apple are a brilliant combination needs a pat on the back! Not to mention the added bonus of cinnamon, which always reminds me of christmas whatever the time of year! These muffins are a really nice change from simply chocolate or blueberry, and have a lovely rich flavour, and a gooey centre thanks to the toffee. Make and enjoy hot or cold!


The Ingredients
Butter, caster sugar, eggs, milk, baking powder, salt, plain flour, ground cinnamon, apples, and toffee.

Line a 12-hole bun pan with muffin cases.
Melt the butter (just in the microwave) and add to it the caster sugar.
Then mix in the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
The next thing to do is to peel, core, and chop the apples into small chunks, and stir into the other ingredients.
The toffee needs to be broken into smaller pieces - I used individual wrapped toffees, which I broke up with a toffee hammer (a very useful tool to have in your kitchen drawer).
Once broken up, the toffee should be kept on one side.
Put a tablespoon of the mixture into each of the muffin cases.
Scatter a few pieces of toffee on top and then cover with the remaining mixture.
Bake in the oven until the muffins are well risen and beautiful golden brown.
And there you have your muffins! The apple will have softened and the toffee melted in the middle - beautiful.

They make a lovely dessert if they are warmed through and served with custard and some extra toffee sauce.

Kate
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment