Thursday 8 November 2012

Yet another post involving apples!

Firstly let me apologise for the number of recent posts that have had apples as the main ingredient. It hasn't been deliberate or planned I promise! I am quite a fan of apples though as I said in my last post! The item in question is cheese and apple bread, and it is beautiful! When I came across the recipe I knew I just had to make it, and when so many people commented on the photo I posted on Facebook, especially one lovely person in particular who specifically requested I write about it on here, I just felt I had to! 

The Ingredients
 500g strong white bread flour, 10g salt, one packet of instant yeast, 300ml cold water, olive oil (for kneading), 150g cheddar cheese, and 2 apples (Granny Smiths work well).

 In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, and yeast.
 To the dry ingredients gradually add the water.
 Mix together to form a dough and then turn out on to an oiled surface and knead for five to ten minutes. The dough should be smooth and elastic.
 Form into a round and place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel. Leave to rise in a warm spot for 1-3 hours.
 Once the dough has risen, it should be double in size, prepare the apples. They need to be peeled, cored, and chopped into small chunks.
 Do not knock back the dough, but rather shape it into a rectangular(ish) shape - the length should be double the width.
 Cover one half of the dough with the apple, leaving a fairly wide margin round the edge.
 Sprinkle the grated cheese over the apple. 
 Fold the dough over to make a parcel and seal the sides. Place the bread on a baking tray, cover, and leave to prove for another hour.
Once risen for the second time, dust with flour, and then make the holes in the top of the loaf by simply pushing your finger through the dough. Cook in the oven (220) for 30 minutes, until golden brown in colour. When its done, take it out of the oven and serve it - or just eat it all yourself!

And there you have it. The end result is as gorgeous as it looks! 
The bread is crisp on the outside and fluffy within, and the centre is a gooey mass of rich cheese and sweet crisp apple. 
It most definitely needs to be eaten warm - although be careful not to burn your mouth on the very hot cheese!
It needs nothing with it, that would just spoil it, so cut it into pieces and enjoy as much of it as you like! Trust me, you won't be able to resist!

Kate
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment